If I received a conviction, can I get my record for that offense sealed or expunged?

Fortunately, the law changed somewhat during the 2015 legislature. In certain situations, certain misdemeanor cases can be sealed even if you have a conviction and even if you received jail time. These are mostly cases like theft (shoplifting), possession of marijuana under 2 ounces, and some other low level misdemeanors. Call us and we can ascertain if you qualify.

Additionally, and very important, the law changed in 2017 that allows certain DWI cases to be sealed. This is retroactive and could allow a DWI received years ago to be sealed. Call us and we can discuss it and see of you are eligible.

Also, and again, very important, the law changed in 2019 that now allows a defendant to get deferred adjudication for a DWI. This means the DWI case can be sealed at a later date assuming the probation goes okay.

For most other offenses a conviction keeps the record from being sealed or expunged. However, you may want to take a look at another section of this website regarding Judicial clemencies, also termed “set asides”, that you may take advantage of if you are still on probation or have not been off of probation more than 30 days.